click here to close this box and continue browsing.
This blog has been transferred to a new site. Please look there.
Novel Idea
Oct 27, 2006
So upon announcing that I was considering writing a novel over the month of November, a few people asked me what my novel would be about, as if I had any clue whatsoever. But I thought about it, and here's what I answered one person. I know this all may sound like too much to try, or too crazy of an idea for a writer just starting out, but hey, why not?

You asked what my novel will be about. To be honest, the idea of writing a novel was more the attraction than a specific novel I was planning on writing from beforehand. But what I've come up with so far is a fantastical novel that takes an unsuspecting person from America to Israel, and at the same time from a world that makes sense to one that doesn't exactly. What I mean by 'fantastical' is hard to explain. It certainly isn't like The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter - more like Neil Gaiman's American Gods or Neverwhere. Think real-world setting, with unexplained things happening - time and space being somewhat malleable, appearances shifting, etc. The ultimate goal is to use the world-not-making-sense element as a metaphor for making aliyah and/or encountering religion - as both involve entering a new world with its own internal logic that often must be experienced, not merely considered, in order to be properly and fully understood.

I hope that made some sense. Now the hard part: turning those ideas into a novel. Oh, and coming up with a plot. And characters. That's all.

Phew.

1 person hopping:

Alisha said...

Wow. Interesting. If anyone could pull it off I bet you could, though. Good luck! (But could you do this in a month and still keep your full-time job???)

Subscribe to: