click here to close this box and continue browsing.
This blog has been transferred to a new site. Please look there.
50,000 is a large number. No?
Oct 25, 2006
I wasn't going to post. Not to spite you dear readers. I'm sure I could find better ways to do that.

No, I wasn't going to post because I didn't have much to say. Or too much, and it all go overwhelming.

But then Lauren told me about NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month and encouraged me to participate. Basically, the idea is that you start writing the very first word of a novel on November 1st, and the last by November 30th, resulting in at least 50,000 words. There's a decently-sized community gathered around this idea, and the basic appeal seems to be the sheer exhilaration of the creative experience, especially when forced to create by a deadline.

So here I am. I'm really tempted to write a novel. But I want encouragement and/or to be told that this is an incredibly stupid idea. So let me know, all 10 of you that read this blog. Should I write? Must I write? And if the answer is yes, anyone have an idea for a plot? A genre? A random story element? Should I write something humorous or serious, or try to oscillate (or vacillate?) between the two? Is this whole proposition somewhat pretentious? Does that matter?

5 people hopping:

Anonymous said...

I encourage you to do it precisely because, in some ways, it is both a brilliant and an incredibly stupid idea. Yes. Yes. No. No. No. Oscillate. Yes. No.

Anonymous said...

Write the novel mad libs style with some friends. It's more entertaining that way....unless your friends don't know what an adverb is.

Anonymous said...

I'll do it if you do it...

Anonymous said...

I started writing my novel over the summer but then I stopped and have been meaning to get back into it lately. Here's even more motivation. You should do it to.

Anonymous said...

In architecture school we used to do these things called "charrettes", a tradition from the Academie des Beaux Arts in which one solves an entire project over one weekend, or a week, or a short period of time like that.
All the stuff about the intense creative process is really true, but you have to lock yourself in the studio for that period, if you really want that aura. However, it'd be interesting to see what it's like to keep your mind in the 2 different spaces of work/life and writing simultaneously.
...I think you should do it

Subscribe to: