click here to close this box and continue browsing.
This blog has been transferred to a new site. Please look there.
must I write?
Aug 1, 2006
Days until departure: 14
I've been thinking a lot. Probably far too much. And I've been reading a bunch.
In the process, I rediscovered the jewel that is Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. As the title of the book suggests, it's just about ordinary, mundane life. As the cover declares:
I have not survived against all odds.
I have not lived to tell.
I have not witnessed the extraordinary.
This is my story.
The style is nice and quirky and it left me with a sense of wonderment that when properly appreciated, ordinary life can be, well, extraordinary.
When I first discovered her book, I actually emailed her to tell her how much I liked it, and to share a random thought that occurred to me. She even wrote back, with a full response, addressing what I wrote. It was whatever you call the opposite of a form letter. (A freeform letter?) It made me happy.

In any case, not too long after finishing that book, I was talking with my friend Josh, and, via an unneccesarily long quote from Rilke, I decided I ought to start writing again. I realized that one of my problems has been that I try to make long, fully polished posts - things that take forever, and which I therefore never start. I think what I said then sums it up:
Anyway, so I decided I have to write more. I have to write stupid things. I have to write incomplete thoughts. I just have to write.
Well, as self-referential (self-fulfilling?) as it is, let's call this a start. If everything goes as planned, I'll have one post a day until I leave for Israel.

0 people hopping:

Subscribe to: