click here to close this box and continue browsing.
This blog has been transferred to a new site. Please look there.
Dreamtime
Aug 8, 2006
Days until departure: 8
Why is it that we use the same word "dreams" to refer both to our aspirations and the crazy-go-nuts ramblings of our brains during sleep? From the little I know (and correct me if I'm wrong, all you polyglots out there), this oddity holds across different languages, and it doesn't make too much sense at first blush.
I mean, do we truly conflate a person's dream to, say, be head of a major corporation with his dream that he was swimming in a vat of pudding with his grandmother's poodle and his first grade teacher?

Maybe it's because we treat our aspirations as something as unreal as untouchable as our subconscious freestyling. Or maybe we aspire to do things like swim in pudding. Your call.

1 person hopping:

Alisha said...

Ilan, I love your capacity for random observation!

Subscribe to: