click here to close this box and continue browsing.
This blog has been transferred to a new site. Please look there.
Too Much
Aug 13, 2006
Days until departure: 3

This is too much. Just too much. I mean, I've always wanted to be part of something momentous and grand, but it seems that I've gotten my wish in spades. Not only am I making aliyah, and making it during a war that's turned about 14% of the citizens into refugees and a huge number of reservists into active soldiers. Through a recent article on Arutz Sheva, I also have discovered this about my flight:

On Wednesday, August 16th – the one year anniversary of the forced eviction of the Jews of Gaza – three simultaneous flights will arrive....the planes will depart from Canada, America and England – all arriving simultaneously in the Holy Land.

The August 16, 2006 influx will constitute the largest number of Jews in history making Aliyah to Israel from Western countries in a single day....
- Arutz Sheva, Aug 09, 2006, by Ezra HaLevi (emphasis added)
I don't know. Maybe it's self-centered or something, and I never thought I'd say this, but it's just too symbolic - being part of such a historic event (and anniversary) and not really knowing what I did to deserve it, not knowing how to deal with it, and not knowing whether I can live up to the demands implicit in it. I mean, Should I see myself as part of the salvation of the country, however small a part, or is that too grandiose? And if I don't see myself that way, is it somehow an abandonment of responsibilities inherent in my place in all of this? These are definitely not questions I can answer now, but you can be sure that they are important ones for me to think about in the coming days. I suspect that, like most of the important questions in life, they have no sure answers, but thinking about the questions can have a more profound effect than answering them ever would.

0 people hopping:

Subscribe to: